Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Thank you Steve Jobs

As a long-time Apple fan, I instantly fell in love with the ipad as a toy that allowed me to cruise around online, read and play games. I had no idea when I first got it how beneficial it could potentially be for Meredith. We are beginning to explore various apps that hopefully will one day help Meredith communicate. Therapists are finding this to be an amazing tool for tapping into the minds of non-verbal kids. We are starting with very simple concepts - when she touches the screen, something happens. Here is an interesting 60 Minutes segment that shows how it works. I love the bit about the little boy who they discovered loved opera. Who knew!? These kids have ideas and thoughts and feelings in there - it's just a matter of getting them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment